Kenyan police on alert over possible Al Shabaab attack
Security personnel in Mandera county are still on high alert although the area has not witnessed any major attack in two months.
County commissioner Fredrick Shisia on Saturday told the Star on the phone the security agents are not leaving anything to chance and are working round the clock to ensure all loopholes used by al Shabaab to carry out attacks are completely sealed off.
“We have managed to seal most of the loopholes. That is why al Shabaab have been unable to penetrate and attack us,” he said.
Shisia said security has been increased, especially along the Kenya-Somalia border. “Terror-related crime have reduced drastically over the past two months due to the continued cooperation with the Jubaland government,” he said.
He praised residents for cooperating with the security agents, saying they have won their confidence “We have also received a lot of political goodwill from the area leadership. This has gone a long way in enhancing security,” Shisia said.
He said the security agencies and residents should not be complacent as a result of the current calm. “Al Shabaab militants have not gone to sleep but are exploiting every available opportunity to attack us. We must remain alert,” Shisia said.
He said al Shabaab have been flushed out of Lafey subcounty where they have been carrying out attacks on vehicles plying the Mandera-Wajir route.
Last month, the militants tried to sabotage communication infrastructure by bombing masts in the county. They also attempted to blow up water pipelines.
Northeastern regional coordinator Mohamud Saleh said the bombing of two Safaricom masts in Lafey and Fino in Mandera was meant to frustrate security operations. “We have permanent ground security operations on hotspots along the border after we realised that, out of desperation, al Shabaab were out to sabotage our communication infrastructure by making incursions into the border towns of Mandera,” Saleh said.